Study Abroad in Belize 2018: May 21-28th, 2018!
Course Name- BIOL 189T: Tropical Biodiversity and Conservation
This website can serve as your central portal for joining my 2018 study abroad course in Belize.
Ever want to swim in a vibrant coral reef? Hike through a tropical rainforest? See some of the most biodiverse ecosystems on the planet? This course offers an 8 day tour of Belize including visits to pristine beaches, tropical rainforests, and snorkeling on beautiful coral reefs. The professor, Dr. Reece, is a terrestrial and marine biologist with more than a decade of experience working in tropical landscapes. The course will focus on the biodiversity of Belize’s birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and marine fish. You will get up close and personal with sloths, four species of monkeys, poison dart frogs, hundreds of species of fish, and hundreds of species of bright, colorful birds. There are no prerequisites and this course will offer learning opportunities for advanced students in biology, students from other majors who are simply interested in biodiversity, and members of the public who enjoy ecotourism.
Sign up with EF Tours here: www.efcollegestudytours.com/1950192ph
The EF Tours link above will also list the locations, accommodations, and other details for the travel portion of the trip.
- How much does it cost?
- I know this is complicated, but see chart below. There are scholarships available to CSM students and the Bio major students, and an IRA award available to any student. The EF fees differ if you want to bunk 3-4 people to a room or 1-2 people to a room. Add up the fees in the row that applies to you based on your major, and subtract the awards available to you.
- More on costs…..
- There are two costs, one to EF Tours and one to CSU Fresno
- If you belong to a major in the College of Science and Math (CSM), there are 15 scholarships available for $1000 per student
- If you are a Biology major there are 15 scholarships available for $200 per student (in addition to the $1000 from CSM)
- If you are a CSU Fresno Student, there are IRA funds available for $1000. You may combine IRA funds with CSM/Bio awards.
- When do I get the scholarship funds?
- The $1000 for CSM majors and the $200 more for Biology majors are available as soon as you sign up and confirm your major with me. The additional $1000 in IRA funding is available in early March.
- Can I take the course if I am not a student at CSU Fresno?
- YES! anyone can take the course by enrolling through CSU Fresno Division of Continuing and Global Education. You do not have to formally apply and be enrolled in CSU Fresno.
- All travelers headed to Belize should be up to date on their routine vaccinations, notes the CDC. These include the MMR, or measles, mumps and rubella vaccine; the DPT vaccine for diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus; the polio vaccine; and immunizations against the flu and chicken pox. The CDC provides a list on its website of recommended routine immunizations for children and adults to help you determine which vaccines you should consider getting before visiting Belize.
- Additional Vaccines
- Americans who have not been vaccinated against typhoid or Hepatitis A or B should receive the vaccines before traveling to Belize, notes the CDC. All travelers have some risk of contracting these diseases, but those having medical treatment in Belize or who may be exposed to bodily fluids run a higher risk of contracting Hepatitis B. Unvaccinated travelers visiting the rural areas where food sanitation may not be up to a high standard, may be at risk for contracting typhoid through the food or water supply.
- When can I sign up?
- Sign up with EF Tours NOW
- Sign up with CSU Fresno for course credit in January 2018
- What does it count for?
- BIOL 189T is an upper division elective for BIO majors, but it is NOT a General Education elective.
- However, you can meet with your academic advisor and work to petition for the course to meet one of your other GE requirements as a replacement.